EWURA regulates electricity sector by reviewing tariff applications from service providers and approving rates and charges for services provided. In ensuring efficiency in approving rates and charges, the Authority takes into consideration competition and levels of investment in the industry. Latest approved electricity tariffs can be viewed in tariff orders.
Currently, EWURA regulates 10 licensed service providers which are actively carrying out power generation activities. This includes:
- Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (TANESCO),
- Songas Tanzania Limited,
- Independent Power Tanzania Limited (IPTL),
- Mwenga Hydropower Limited,
- Tanzania Wattle Company (TANWAT)
- Tanganyika Planting Company Limited (TPC),
- Tulila Hydro Electric Plant Company Ltd,
- Ngombeni Power Limited,
- Jinan Diesel Engine Company Limited, and
- Andoya Hydropower Company Limited.
Service providers actively carrying out distribution and supply are TANESCO, Rural Power Development Limited and Andoya Hydropower Company Limited. The transmission services are still a TANESCO monopoly.