EWURA regulates electricity sector by reviewing tariff applications from service providers and approving rates and charges for services provided. In ensuring efficiency in approving rates and charges, the Authority takes into consideration competition and levels of investment in the industry. Latest approved electricity tariffs can be viewed in tariff orders.
Currently, EWURA regulates 8 service providers which are actively carrying out power generation activities. These includes:
- Songas Tanzania Limited,
- Independent Power Tanzania Limited (IPTL),
- Symbion Power Tanzania Limited,
- Mwenga Hydropower Limited,
- Tanzania Wattle Company (TANWAT) and
- Tanganyika Planting Company Limited (TPC).
Service providers actively carrying out distribution and supply are TANESCO and Mwenga Hydropower. The transmission services are still a TANESCO monopoly.