The Energy and Water Utilities Regulatory Authority (EWURA) is an autonomous multi-sectoral regulatory authority established by the EWURA Act Cap 414 of the laws of Tanzania. It is responsible for technical and economic regulation of the electricity, petroleum, natural gas and water sectors in Tanzania pursuant to Cap 414 and sector legislation.
EWURA’s vision is “To be a World Class Regulator for Sustainable Energy and Water Services”
EWURA mission is “To regulate energy and water utilities in a transparent, effective and efficient manner that ensures their quality, availability and affordability”
The functions of EWURA include among others, to issue licenses, regulating rates and charges, making rules, monitoring the performance of the regulated sectors, facilitating resolution of complaints and disputes between service providers and consumers of regulated goods and services and disseminate information about matters relevant to its functions.
In carrying out its functions, EWURA shall strive to enhance the welfare of Tanzania society by:
- promoting effective competition and economic efficiency;
- protecting the interests of consumers;
- protecting the financial viability of efficient suppliers;
- promoting the availability of regulated services to all consumers including low income, rural and disadvantaged consumers;
- taking into account the need to protect and preserve the environment;
- enhancing public knowledge, awareness and understanding of the regulated sectors.